- Ages: 10 years +
- Duration: 6 or 8 hours
- Departure: 8am (8-hr) / 12pm (6-hr)
- Location: Exit Glacier – Kenai Fjords NP
- Departs: Seward, AK
- Exertion: Strenuous
- Price: $189 8-hour / $159 6-hour
Ask us about custom dates for individuals, couples, families, and groups.
TRIP DETAILS & ITINERARY
Kenai Backcountry Adventures offers glacier hiking tours in Kenai Fjords National Park – Suitable for all skill levels. Choose whether to be picked up from your hotel, or drive to a meeting location. Walking on a glacier is truly something that shouldn’t be missed when in Alaska!
Are you ready for an adventure? This tour includes glacier hiking on Exit Glacier located within the Kenai Fjords National Park. Explore the fascinating features of the glacier including blue ice and large crevasses. Add a little excitement as we (safely) explore many features of this ancient ice. All the while enjoying the amazing views around us!
This tour is available with pick up in Seward or meet-on-location at the park entrance. Choose to be collected at your selected pickup point in Seward, meet us at our office, or meet us at the Exit Glacier Nature Center outside of the city of Seward.
The 8-hour tour departs at 8:00am and returns at 4:00pm. The whole tour will last about 8 hours in total, with the possibility of spending upwards of 3 to 4 hours on the ice!
*The 8-hr tour offers a more relaxed/flexible pace with more rest breaks, if needed.
6-Hour Tour – Recommended only for adventurers with good to great physical conditioning.
The 6-hour tour departs at 12:00pm and returns at 6:00pm. The whole tour will last about 6 hours in total, with the possibility of spending upwards of 1 to 2 hours on the ice!
*The 6-hr tour tends to be more strenuous than the 8-hour tour as we have less time for rest breaks and must move at a faster pace in order to make it on the glacier.
The amount of time you spend on the glacier (“Ice Time”) largely depends on how long it takes us, as a group, to hike up the mountain and make it to the side of the glacier. Some groups move quickly and have a lot of ice time, some groups move slower, resulting in less ice time. Our goal is to get everyone on the ice safely, regardless of how much time we’ll be on the glacier.
Meeting & Pick-Up Options:
We provide complimentary transportation from accommodations in Seward, as well as from pre-defined central-meeting locations in Seward. If you have a car, but don’t want to attempt finding the trip starting location on your own, please meet us at our office. From there, you can ride with us, or follow us, to the trip starting location. See Details section for more information.
Disclaimer: Glacier trips are undertaken at the responsibility of participants. Kenai Backcountry Adventures does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions.
This trip is rated as STRENUOUS.
Please, review the details section for additional information and REQUIRED items to bring with you for this trip.
This adventure tour takes place in Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Start Time: Varies – See Booking Calendar
- Distance: 4 to 6+ miles of hiking
- Age: Minimum age 10 years old (all participants in good shape)
- Min / Max: Minimum of 2, maximum of 10 guests per departure.
- Larger groups may be accommodated, please contact us for details.
- Exertion: This trip is rated at STRENUOUS exertion level.
*The hike up the mountain is approximately 1.5 miles, with ~1,300 feet of elevation gain – this is the most physically exerting part of the trip.
- Terrain: You must have a good-to-high level of fitness and be able to walk on steep, and uneven terrain, uphill for long distances, and for long durations.
- Children: Available to children 10 years old and above. Under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- What To Bring (*REQUIRED):
- Please eat a hearty meal prior to arriving for your trip.
- Bring snacks, and a full water bottle(s).
- *Sturdy, well broken-in hiking boots or hiking shoes. REQUIRED
- *Waterproof rain jacket. REQUIRED
- *Waterproof rain pants. REQUIRED
- *Gloves REQUIRED
- Sunglasses (recommended)
- Clothes for dressing in layers; dress for current weather conditions.
- Camera, sunscreen, bug spray, and any personal items.
- Cash for guide gratuities (recommended)
- Round-trip ground transportation from Seward to Kenai Fjords NP
- Professional Mountaineering Guide(s)
- Glacier equipment – crampons, gaiters, harness, helmet*, trekking poles, small backpack
- *Bring your GoPro, our helmets have GoPro mounts!
- Hot drinks (tea, cocoa)
- Deli lunch (turkey wraps, granola bar, piece of fruit)
- Gluten free, and vegetarian options are available for an additional fee.
Meeting & Pick-Up Options:
We provide complimentary transportation from accommodations in Seward, as well as from predefined central-meeting locations in Seward. If you have a car, but don’t want to attempt finding the trip starting location on your own, please meet us at our office. From there, you can ride with us, or follow us, to the trip starting location.
- Meeting Places: KBA Office, Seward Boat Harbor (area), or Exit Glacier Nature Center; a map and directions are provided with your reservation confirmation.
- Pick-Up / Drop-Off: Available at local hotels, cruise port, and train depot in Seward; pick-up times will be confirmed upon booking, but it may be up to 30-60 minutes prior to your trip start time.
- From Seward: Most of our guests choose to meet us at our office, and then ride with us, or follow us, to the trip starting point. Most pickups in Seward will result in us stopping by our office on the way to pick-up other guests.
- Seward pick-up time: If you have chosen to be collected from Seward then your pickup time will be listed in your confirmation email. Please be ready to be picked up from your selected pick-up point, note that pickup can take up to 30 minutes. If you don’t know where you are staying, don’t worry, simply select the “To Be Announced” option and then update us when you have more details. If you don’t see your pickup location listed, please inquire with us to see if it’s within our pickup area.
- Meet on location at the trip starting point: If you have decided to meet us at the trip starting point, then please be ready at the Exit Glacier Nature Center when the tour starts based on your reservation confirmation. It will take you approximately 20+ minutes to drive to the Exit Glacier Nature Center from Seward so please leave yourself plenty of time, it’s worth leaving a little early. The exact location for the meeting place is included with your reservation confirmation. Please note, there is no cell phone service at the Exit Glacier Nature Center.