- Ages: All Ages
- Duration: 11 hours
- Departs: Seward, AK
- Location: Kenai NWR – Skilak Lake
- Exertion: Easy to Strenuous
- Price: $349 per person
Ask us about custom dates for individuals, couples, families, and groups.
TRIP DETAILS & ITINERARY
From Seward, enjoy a beautiful driving tour out to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge followed by boating on Skilak Lake, one of the largest glacial-carved lakes on the Kenai Peninsula, combined with magnificent hiking opportunities in a true backcountry environment. A trip of a lifetime!
A beautiful and scenic ride to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge kicks off this tour. Guests will be transported to Skilak Lake, an immense and crystal blue shimmering lake carved by glaciers. After a brief safety orientation, guests will board a boat for the scenic tour where they will be on the lookout for nearby wildlife and breathtaking views around Skilak Lake.
An experienced and skilled captain will be guiding guests on this boat tour, also providing their knowledge of the surrounding wilderness throughout the adventure. Guests will be able to experience a genuine Alaskan backcountry setting, abundant with wildlife like bald eagles and even bears!
The return trip to Seward will include some beautiful stops along the journey for photo opportunities and to stretch your legs. Along the way, wildlife spotting is typical for the “keen eye” as well as views of the Chugach and Kenai Mountains. Guests looking to experience plenty of the regions beauty in a natural setting, with expert guides to heighten the trip, will not be disappointed!
Duration: 11 hours (including round-trip ground transportation from Seward)
There are 3 options available for this trip
Select your preferred option when making your reservation. If there are already guests booked for the date you’re interested in, the trip option is based on what the first guests chose. All options include a picnic-style lunch in a really beautiful location.
1) Sightseeing Session (Easy – physical exertion)
This option includes a lot of cruising around the lake in the boat looking for wildlife, and checking out the amazing scenery. We do get off the boat from time to time to stretch our legs, and check things out, but we stay close to the shore.
2) Mix-It-Up Moderate (Moderate – physical exertion)
This option is a mix of the Easy option, with more hiking involved in. The hiking is easy to moderate, and is mostly on trails. We may hike a loop trail, and/or stop at several locations and hike to the top of vantage points for views that stretch for miles. There may be some slight inclines, uneven terrain, or slippery surfaces.
3) Alpine Hike (Strenuous – physical exertion)
This is the strenuous option that entails hiking on a trail to the top of a mountain on the other side of Skilak Lake from where we begin the boating portion of the trip. The majority of the time is spent hiking up the mountain, and then exploring the alpine tundra area up above the tree-line. We take our time going up, and coming down the mountain to allow for ample rest periods. This makes for an exciting, and vigorous hiking experience!
- TRIP TIME: 7:30 AM – 6:30 PM
- LOCATION: Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
- DEPARTS & RETURNS TO: Seward, Alaska
- DIFFICULTY: Group Preference – Easy to Strenuous
- Check-In: Please arrive 30 minutes prior to start time.
- Meeting Place: Seward Boat Harbor (area). A map and directions are provided with your reservation confirmation.
- Pick-Up / Drop-Off: Available at local hotels, cruise port, train depot in Seward. Pick-up times will be confirmed upon booking, but it may be up to an hour prior to your trip start time.
- Terrain: Hiking may involve uneven, slippery terrain. Hiking routes may vary due to trail and weather conditions. The pace is slow and not rushed (see *Group Preference below).
- Children: Available for all ages. Under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- What To Bring: Please eat a hearty breakfast in the morning prior to arriving for your trip. Bring snacks, and a full water bottle. Sturdy, well broken-in hiking boots or shoes. Waterproof rain jacket and rain pants. Clothes for dressing in layers; dress for current weather conditions. Camera, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, and any personal items. Cash if offering guide gratuities.
- Round trip scenic ground transportation from Seward
- Deli-style lunch: wraps, granola bar, and a piece of fruit (select wrap option when booking)
- Professional Wilderness Guide & Boat Captain
- Scenic boat transportation on Skilak Lake
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
- Interpretive guided hiking
- Small-group exclusive tour
- Pickup and drop-off location near cruise ship dock
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Group Preference: We offer a variety of tour options, from easy to strenuous. We base the tour upon guest preference as a group. If you book 6 spots on the tour we can customize the tour specifically to your group.
*We can accommodate large groups over 6 participants, please inquire for details.
Contingency Plan: The boating portion of this tour is subject to favorable weather conditions due to operating vessels on a large glacial lake. If the weather does not permit safe travel by boat, your group will hike trails in the area that do not require access by boat.
*This tour operates rain or shine!