PACKRAFTING NINILCHIK RIVER
*No experience is necessary for this Packrafting trip.
Explore the Alaskan wilderness on an exhilarating packrafting journey down a river filled with salmon! Packrafting is Alaska’s fastest growing and most exciting sport! The Ninilchik River is a great way to try packrafting.
The trip starts with a short car ride to the river with your packraft packed away in your 15 – 20 lb. backpack. Once at the river’s edge your KBA guide will show you how to inflate your packraft and instructs you on the basics of paddling and boating safety. The river starts off smooth and gives you ample time to get the feel for the packraft and offers a opportunities to learn paddling techniques while taking in the riverine landscape.
For the more adventurous, a short run of Class I+/II rapids begin at the lower end of the river. But don’t worry, if you’re not quite ready for this, there will be a few areas to take-out prior to this section. These rapids are not mandatory and are easily walked around. At most water levels these rapids are really fun and worth giving a try. Some times the water is very low resulting in bumpy ride. Take extra laps on the rapids, or take advantage of incredible photo opportunities. Riverside lunch and snacks included. Finish the trip with a river float to the tidal flats.
Packrafting is the main focus of this adventure. While there is some hiking, it is relatively short in distance, and the hiking is easy.
- Season: May – October
- Departs From: Ninilchik, AK
- Duration: 6 Hours
- Distance: 6 Miles of packrafting, 1-2 miles of hiking.
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- Terrain and Gear: The hiking portion is short and easy hiking. The rafting is moderate with small sections up to class II rapids. If there are obstacles or obstructions we can portage around them. We outfit you with the river gear necessary for paddling the river. Bring rain gear as you may need it until you are suited up. Please dress for current weather conditions. It’s best to layer clothing.
- Meeting Time and Place: Trips begin at 8am. Meeting place is in Ninilchik and details will be provided upon booking your trip. We offer pickup at accommodations within Ninilchik.
- Professional guide service and packraft instruction
- Deli lunch (sandwiches), veggies, water, and tea.
- River boots
- River gloves
- Drybag backpack
[social_buttons full_width_icons=”true” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true”]